arabica coffee beans

Arabica coffee Beans VS Robusta Coffee Beans

More than 64% of the UK people take coffee regularly, reported by a survey. As a regular coffee consumer, you might be testing different coffee brands to find the best one. While purchasing coffee, you also have noticed the words “Arabica Coffee Beans” or “Robusta Coffee Beans” on the coffee bags. These are two different species of coffee providing the majority of the world’s coffee production. 

Coffee beans, either Arabica or Robusta, are part of a family of flowering plants called Rubiaceae. This family has over five hundred Genres and around six thousand species. Among these thousands, one is the bean that you love and use daily, i.e., coffee! – Arabica or Robusta. Let’s discuss the detail of each of the two coffee species and find the fundamental differences between them.

Arabica Coffee Beans VS Robusta Coffee Beans: Similarities

Arabica coffee beans have two main types: Typica and Bourbon. At the same time, Robusta is a type of Canephora and represents the entire variety of coffee. Both coffee beans come from the same plant family but have different characteristics. 

Arabica Coffee Beans VS Robusta Coffee Beans: Differences

There are specific key variables to compare both types of coffees.

Plant: The Arabica plant can grow at higher altitudes and up to 15 feet high, but the length is kept up to 5 to 6 feet to manage it. Robusta plant grows at a lower altitude and up 20 feet high, but the length is kept up to 5 to 6 feet like Arabica to manageable

Cultivation: Arabica coffee plant is susceptible to pests and difficult to cultivate and yield compared to Robusta coffee beans. Robusta coffee plant is much easier to cultivate, and the plants are less susceptible to pests and diseases. Robusta blooms in areas that are not suitable for Arabica.

Production Countries: Latin America — Brazil, specifically — is the largest Arabica coffee producer for more than 150 years. Eastern hemisphere in Africa, Indonesia, and Vietnam, with Vietnam producing the greatest Robusta beans.

Shape: Arabica coffee beans are ovular, flat, pronounced centre crease, and larger than Robusta beans. Robusta beans are slightly smaller, rounder, usually paler, and the centre crease is less pronounced.

Taste: Arabica beans are generally sweeter and have tones of fruits, florals, chocolate, and nuts. Robusta beans comparatively taste much less sweet and have harsh flavours.

Commercial Production: Arabica coffee beans are a giant coffee industry with about 75% of the coffee beans market. On the other hand, Robusta beans are just 25% of the market, making it a very low competitor.

Caffeine Level: Here, the Robusta coffee beans take the lead by containing 25% more caffeine than Arabica Coffee beans. So Robusta is good for coffee lovers who want to intake more caffeine.

Health Benefits: Arabica coffee beans are low in calories and good for people who need to monitor their caffeine intake. These beans also have good vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Robusta coffee beans are full of Chlorogenic acid (CGA), an antioxidant popular for lowering blood pressure and weight loss and mood improvement.

You may also like...